And He gave some to be apostles, and some prophets, and some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers.
From generation to generation God’s standard of righteousness, holiness and truth has continued to be assaulted by the powers of darkness. The righteousness evidenced by adherence to God’s moral code and standard has been watered down, and this has resulted in false standards and ungodly moral codes. Modern humanism resists any form of spirituality connected to faith in Christ. Instead it promotes reliance on oneself and a belief that human needs and values are more important than religious beliefs. This way of thinking results in a people who create their own set of ethics based on their own needs and perspective rather than faith in Christ. Ultimately, they are rejecting the values and ethics of the Kingdom of God. This human tendency is not new. In every generation mankind has gone its own way independently of God. God’s response has always been to raise up spokespersons to speak for Him. These spokespersons are called prophets, God’s messengers.
Prophets differ in their measure of rule, sphere of authority and their expression. Prophets can speak, sing or write the prophetic word. Others use painting to recreate heavenly visions on canvas or paper or they sculpt them out of stone or metal. Still others use spoken word in the form of musical prose to release their message. God sends prophets to regions, nations, territories, cities, churches and the marketplace. Anointed by God to reveal His will to people, prophets are vital to the Church. They are called by God and trained in the Spirit. Prophets are committed to conveying the message they have been given by God and will not compromise. Although prophets are frequently rejected, they are completely committed to delivering God’s message, no matter what the cost to themselves. Throughout Biblical history God has commissioned prophets to deliver His message to kings, rulers and nations. It is often a dangerous task. Yet during personal and national crisis, the message of the prophet is necessary, as it provides key revelatory insights to guide God’s people through the darkness of their times.
Here are 12 reasons the Church needs prophets:
- Prophets encourage and strengthen believers (Acts 15:32).
- Prophets warn of impending judgment, danger, persecution and world events (Acts 11:27-28; 21:10,11).
- Prophets activate and release believers into their destiny (Acts 13:1-3).
- Prophets love truth and righteousness. The words of the prophet call people to righteousness.
- Prophets love prayer and the presence of God. Prophets love to commune with God in prayer, which gives them great spiritual capacity. They are trained in the Spirit to hear God’s voice.
- Prophets have supernatural capacity to see. They are seers. Prophets have been given supernatural vision to perceive in the spirit realm.
- Prophets are strong watchmen. The seer’s capacity to see in the spirit enables the prophet to see and discern in the spirit. Prophets stay keen and alert, and their watchfulness surrounds cities, regions and nations.
- Prophets reveal the will of God, give warning or announce blessings (Is. 6:1; Jer. 1:5; Acts 11:27).
- Prophets are set in the Church by God (1 Corinthians 12:28).
- Prophets have supernatural ability to perfect the believers in the church (Ephesians 4:11-12).
- Prophets minister great revelation (Ephesians 2:20).
- Prophets build with apostles (Ephesians 2:20).
The Church must value the ministry of the prophet. When prophets are valued, their ministry flourishes and brings great benefits to the Church. It is important to understand that not everyone is a prophet (1 Cor. 12:29), but all believers can and should prophesy. Prophets are anointed to identify believers’ gifts and callings and to activate believers into the purpose of God for their lives. When this happens, members can help the church to advance its vision, as they use their gifts to support and move the vision forward. Let’s go!
Dr. Venner Alston is the author of Next Level Spiritual Warfare: Advanced Strategies to Defeat the Enemy. Her book can be purchased on Amazon or wherever fine books are sold. Her second book, Breakthrough Prayers, Decrees and Confessions to Defeat the Enemy: Overcoming Demonic Resistance Through Warfare Prayer, can be purchased directly from her website: www.drvjalston.org. Order your copy today!